Sunday, April 22, 2012

No Romanji Texting, Please. Hangul only!

One of my past mistakes in learning Korean both on my own and in a class was to try to learn Korean by Romanizing the alphabet. Serious teachers of Korean say that "Romanji" doesn't work, and in retrospect I think it was holding me back. I have now taken the time to learn the correct pronunciation of the consonants and vowels of the Hangul alphabet, and I've found that my progression is much faster now. Now I just have to get the other KAs (Korean-Americans) to stop texting me in Romanji. It's hard to figure out what they are saying!

One extremely useful thing to give up Romanji was watching the videos of a native Korean speaker (Professor Koo) making the correct sounds of the Korean alphabet (vowels and consonants). I put the clips on my iPhone and watched them over and over again. The flash cards and notes for pronunciation for the various letters were also very useful. This YouTube clip below is similar and I found it useful to watch.

This site below (www.sweetandtastytv.com) I just found is absolutely hilarious! I got there from the more serious video above. We probably won't learn much Korean slang in class, but this blog with YouTube videos called "KWOW" Korean Word of the Week has helped me know how to use the word 바보 "babo" in a couple of different ways:


Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment